- Country: United Kingdom
- Type of provider: Campsite
- Rethink: Ballot Bin are an example of fun theory; the simple idea that making something enjoyable is one of the easiest ways to positively influence people’s behaviors. The Ballot Bin ashtray is proven to reduce cigarette butt litter by 46%. Hubbub’s many campaigns are strategized around the principle that the world is full of big problems, why not face them with a smile.
Summary of the project
Hubbub offers ingenious inspiration and practical actions that are good for communities and the environment. The company are renowned for disrupting the status quo to raise awareness, nudge behaviors and shape systems. Hubbub do this with knowledge and playfulness to capture communities’ hearts and minds.
Cigarette butts have been identified as one of the single most collected items in beach clean-ups and urban litter surveys. Hubbub trialed the Ballot Bin as part of an award-winning operation Neat Streets campaign in 2015. The Ballot Bin has become a textbook example of nudge theory in action ever since.
How do you make nudging fun?
Any nudge starts with a behavior you want certain people to change. In the case of the Ballot Bin, the behavior was littering cigarettes, and the perpetrators were (largely) young men.
So, how do you make responsibly disposing of a cigarette easier or fun for young male smokers, than dropping it on the ground with reckless abandon?
Hubbub decided that the best way to answer that question, is with a series of questions:
• Who is the best footballer in the world: Messi or Ronaldo?
• What is the best superpower: invisibility or flying?
• Is Trump’s hair real: yes or no?
You can’t help but engage with these questions and the Ballot Bin is designed to make an ostensibly boring behavior (correct disposal of the most littered item in the world), a fun one.
Fun theory is the simple idea that making something enjoyable is one of the easiest ways to positively influence people’s behaviors. Hubbub tries to apply this principle across all their environmental behavior change campaigns:
• When Hubbub turn to tackle ocean plastics, they take people 'Plastic Fishing' on the world’s first 99% recycled plastic boats.
• When Hubbub want to encourage people to get growing plants and veg at home, they give away kits to make it fun and easy for anybody to 'Give It A Grow'.
• And when Hubbub want to highlight food waste, they get people to start by eating their Halloween pumpkins.
Street litter, needless waste and people’s attitudes towards sustainability is of worldwide concern. Hubbub’s Ballot Bins have an impressive track record for international engagement. No fewer than 38 countries across the world have invested in the product and Hubbub have now sold more than 3,000 units. With all profits going back to the charity, the Ballot Bin has become a powerful example of nudge theory in the action.
Do you want to know more about this organization? Please visit their website: https://www.hubbub.org.uk/